As the deadline for bars and breweries to sign up for Philly Beer Week approaches, I’ve been waking early to tackle the job of reviewing and posting events on the calendar. We’ll surpass 500 separate events sometime today, which is just incredible to me.
Here’s a few random, disjointed thoughts…
- I love the sense of humor of bar owners. The Irish Pol’s 40 taps had been the city’s largest list, but this week it was bested by the City Tap House’s 60 in West Philly. As part of beer week, the Pol is running a $4 special on every single beer it pours at “the home of the most taps east of the Schuylkill River.”
- At last count, there were something like 88 brewers attending events. There’s actually more, but we’re listing only one per brewery; some - like Yards, Philly Brewing, Dogfish Head and Yuengling - are represented by more than one. Among the bigger names coming to town: Jim Koch, Adam Avery, Tomme Arthur, Rob Tod, Phil Leinart, Frank Boon, James Watt, Phin DeMink, Fred Matt, Kjetil Jikiun, Eric Wallace, Brendan Moylan, Jean Van Roy and Simon Poynton. And, yes, Sam Calagione will be here, too.
- If you missed out on getting tix to Belgium Comes to Cooperstown, it’s not too late. Ommegang, which has been a big supporter of Beer Week (thanks Larry and Megan). will be raffling off tickets at several events around town. Find all of their events on the “Breweries” page at PhillyBeerWeek.org.
- We created a new event category: Music. Don’t know why we didn’t think of this earlier, but beer-drinking and live music are a natural. Johnny Brenda’s will host Black Landlord on 6/5. There’s also music featured at events at Prohibition Taproom, the Irish Pol, Bridgid’s, Grace Tavern and Fergie’s.
- Best new beer name for the week: Fatty Boombalatty, from Furthermore. Cracked me up, and Jordan at Bella Vista says it’s dynamite.
- Memphis Taproom is throwing down the keg mallet again with its No Repeat Week, which is to say every keg they tap all week will be a different one. Last year they ran out 128 separate brands in 10 days.
- Looking for something different? Mango Moon (4161 Main Street, Manayunk), the wonderful Thai tapas restaurant, will be featuring some interesting Asian beers throughout the week.
- And, finally, say HELLO! to the newest participant in Philly Beer Week: Delilah’s.